Al Fin, You Sexy Thing!

27 May 2012

A Dynamic Sexuality: From Father to Fatherette

“I remember wearing my mom’s clothes and makeup, very secretly, not telling anybody,” Crecelius said. From a young age, Crecelius identified more with being a female, but hid behind a male persona.

“When I was 17, I was working my first part-time job at a TV station as a floor cameraman and the person in charge said to me, ‘You know, you walk like a queer.’ And I thought I was hiding who I was, and I wasn’t,” he said.

About 40 years later, a revelation:
“I had a kidney stone and we’re in the emergency room,” Crecelius said. “The nurse is reading the ultrasound and says, ‘Huh, this says you’re a female’.”

It turns out Steve was born intersex, meaning he has both male and female parts. The diagnosis was a shock, but also a relief. _KDVR
People who have both male and female sexual organs are hermaphrodites. In Steve's case, his male organs dictated his physical appearance, and his socially assigned gender identity. But on the inside, Steve felt more like a female. He juggled those feelings all his life -- getting married, having six children, embarking on a successful photography career, etc. -- until that fateful diagnostic report revealed the biological underpinnings of his mixed sexual identity.

His wife and children have accepted the changeover to female identity, and he even sleeps in the same bed with his wife -- still soulmates, it seems.

Sexuality is complex and to a certain degree, plastic. Someday we will be able to change genders as easily as changing hair colours.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more open-minded, both with ourselves and with others. So when your wife of 20 years turns to you and says, "Honey, make me a lesbian!" you will at least count to ten before asking her what's on her mind.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts